Saturday, January 24, 2009

What do you do for fun??

We all have hobbies. Hobbies are a nice way to "get away" from the stress and pressures of real life. What with all is going on the our Country nowadays, sometimes we need all the "escapes" we can get. So, that brings me back to my original question; "What do you do for fun?"

As for me, I enjoy getting comfortable at my desk and firing up my Ham Radio transceivers and my scanner radios (see picture below of my set-up). Call me nosy, but I love being in the know. If there's anything going on around me, I want to know what it is, and listening to my scanners is a great way to keep me up to speed. Whether it's listening to out local police, or keeping track of the boys in blue up in Chicago, nothing beats law enforcement monitoring. Hearing the action unfold on the scanner makes me truly appreciate the job they do. Some of the crap that they have to put up with is truly amazing. I'd probably snap if I had to deal with even half of the stuff they deal with (which is probably why I'm in the hospitality business and not law enforcement LOL).

Another thing I enjoy is Amateur Radio. Right now I only have my Technicians class license, but I'm slowly studying so I can move up to General Class, which will give me more privileges. However, right now I'm content with where I'm at. There are a bunch of great Hams in my area, and it can get quite interesting chatting with them. I haven't had the pleasure yet of making contact with another operator halfway around the world, but when I get the right equipment I will be looking forward to it. Who needs instant messaging on a computer when you can talk live to someone over a radio? Kids today don't know what they're missing.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this little glimpse into what makes me tick. If you'd like to share what you do for fun, please do. I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a blessed day!!!


Here is a picture of where all my monitoring takes place...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam,
    I've been reading your blogs and enjoy them. My step-dad is into ham radios, he does belong to a ham group up here in Green Bay. I've been to a couple of their Christmas parties and find the ham radios to be very interesting. As for myself, I like planting flowers and vegetables, taking walks. I do run (not very far), but it's the walking that is a stress reliever. Thanks for your blog!!

    ReplyDelete